Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Chocolate Farm

Today Carol and I joined the youth group from Igreja de Cristo for a walk to a nearby chocolate farm. The 10 mile trek felt more like a hike for sure! I really like the fact that we get to do a lot more walking, due to the fact that we do not have a car, are centrally located to almost everything, and the people here actually like walking! I used my very broken Portuguese to at least exchange names with a few of the youth. However, my Portuguese has a VERY LONG way to go. Carol and I start Portuguese lessons on Monday at 7:30 in the morning (a little early!). I am excited to hopefully being able to say more that “my name is”, “how old are you”, or “do you have any brothers or sisters”. We have been able to spend the past couple of days brainstorming projects for our internship with the missionaries we are working with (Mark and Ali Kaiser). Everything is in the planning stages right now, but it seems like we are going to get to work with the youth group to plan service activities, hang out with the yuppie group (the 20-somethings), and pursue interests to our individual liking. I am going to start talking to a couple of businesses that need some design advice. I will let you know how it goes. Friday we are going into Sao Paulo to visit another camp and see the new Batman movie! Our apartment is coming along, we have almost got everything we think is essential to making it fully compatible with living conditions for the next few months. Please continue to pray for our time down here. I must admit that I am missing my family, boyfriend, and friends dearly; but completely excited to see what God has in store here.

Love ya and I hope God Blesses your day, Amanda

To see pictures of the chocolate farm, go to:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2060502&l=b4ea1&id=54602315

No comments: